Saturday, July 15, 2006

Punting with the Interns on the Cam

What better way to spend a Friday evening? Right after work, 16 of the summer students working in the Big Tent decided to rent some punts for an hour or so and spend
some time attempting to steer down the crowded river. For the uninitiated, this is how to get a close up view the "backs" of the colleges - the best way, IMHO, to view the architecture you can't otherwise easily see.

It has the added factor of being a right good piss up.
Just starting out here - Cedric is punting in the background, Jeff in the foreground. 
This is a great picture - just coming into St. John's College - the Bridge of Sighs is visible off his right shoulder. 
A view of the other two punts of our intrepid group - made up predominantly of French students, oddly enough, but also Irish, Scottish, English, and, of course, Canadians. 
A view of the aforementioned bridge with me facing the other way in the boat. Bastian is demonstrating his superior skills, having been here for almost a year now.   

More of St. John's College - I've found the public entryway to this area finally, so I can get some better photos of the structure you can just barely see above the banks.

At this point, the batteries in my camera decided to die. So I missed Laures losing her pole - not once, but twice - in the mud, and others having to rescue it for her. No one fell in, oddly enough, and we all made it back to Henry's bar at Quayside, where we'd rented hired the punts.


All I can say for this night is that somedays, I'm very thankful that the draconian British liquor laws require most pubs to stop serving at 11:30 pm...

Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home