Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Happy Birthday, Bro!

My middle brother is also in grad school, studying philosophy at York. Specifically... well, he'd have to tell you himself. In any case, today's his birthday and in his honour I made a trip yesterday to Ascension Burial Ground, just north of Cambridge, where one of the main philosophers he studies, Ludwig Wittgenstein, is buried:
So... yep. He's dead. Still. Apparently, the grave is something of a pilgrimage, and "offerings" are occasionally left. I chipped in a pence, for good measure. Can't figure out what the ladder is for though. Maybe The Tractatus is so hard to understand, you may as well just climb over it and get on with it?

Hey man, I'm tired - it's 34 degC here.
 
It's a fairly overgrown place, and I'm sure would look quite creepy in the dark:
 
The church to the right is actually an artist's studio/gallery now, and there are quite a few other Cambridge luminaries buried about. Some of the founders of the newer colleges, and some famous scientists. For all you evolutionary biologists / and paleontologists out there (you know who you are) I give you...
...one of Charles' Darwin's sons! Actually, the other one is buried here too - but I couldn't find the grave.  Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home